Logo Viasur Andalucía
Viasur, quality rental houses in a beautiful setting, established 1995.
  • 958 793 667
  • 637 517 523

Monuments in Granada

Sacromonte Abbey Return

Sacromonte Abbey

In the barrio of Sacromonte, famous for its gipsy caves, can be found the Abadia de Sacromonte. Built in the XVII century on Mount Valpariso it occupies a place in an enclave known for its beauty. The history of the Abbey starts in 1588 when a number of relics and texts referring to Muslim ideology and the ascent of Christianity were discovered by treasure seekers in a cave on this spot. A house was built on the site to guard the relics and in 1600 the archbishop began an allegiate church. Today´s musuem contains many fine works of art and the ashes of martyred saints. The texts which had been discovered became very controversial and were condemned by the Pope in 1682 after being sent to Rome for verification. Fortunately the texts were not destroyed, and were eventually returned to Granada. The people believed to be responsible for the lead plates were a group of “Moriscos” (Christian Muslims) who wanted to prove that their history was as old as that of the old Spaniards, and that they were descendants of St. Cecilio and other martyrs, who had converted to Islam after the Muslim invasion, and who had then reconverted to Christianity following the Reconquest. The star of Solomon was the symbol of the abbey and can be found throught the building.

Arch of Sorrows Go to Top Return

Arch of Sorrows

Known as the arch of Almajura in Muslim times, this arch is one of theprinciple points of reference in the Albaicín. The Arch of Sorrows is an opening in the wall which divides the Albaicin and the Alcazaba Qadima. The name is supposedly derived from the sorrow felt by merchants who had their goods confiscated for not complying with the regulations in force at the time. Its claim to be from the XI century are borne out by the construction of the archway.

The Cathedral Complex Go to Top Return

Capilla Real Reyes Católicos

The Royal Chapel and the mausoleum of the Catholic King and Queen, as well as of their daughter Juana "The mad", their son-in-law Felipe "The handsome" and their grandson Miguel. The wishes of the Catholic Church was also to have a sepulchre for all his descendants, but his grandson Felipe II preferred to have their remains placed in the Pantheon of the Kings in the Monasterio de San Lorenzo del Escorial.

Tourists enter through the old market, but the official entrance of the Chapel opens at the time of morning Mass and only those wishing to pray are permitted entrance.

Isabel, with her profound Franciscan belief, wanted an austere medeival mausoleum befitting a woman wishing to enter Paradise but she died a year before the work began leaving her husband Fernando in charge of the construction according to his wishes. These were clearly not hers as he was seduced by the ideas of the grand Italial style and modified the original plans. But a year before the work was finished Fernando died. The direction of the work passed to the grandson Carlos I, a modern man who had all the traits that Isabel detested. For him a mausoleum had to be a monage to the deceased, with physical and mental attributes, its feet in both the political and military fields, against all that Isabel had wanted. When he came to the throne he knew what he wanted to build as a sepulchre to his grandparents and made radicalchanges, amongst them the grandoise Major Chapel, very dramatic and monumental. As with the churches of the Albaicin there had already been a mosque on the site. The cistern was constructed by the Christians but its presence reminds us that the rectangular space that seperates the market from the Sacristy was in Muslim times the ablutions for the Grand Mosque of Granada.

The Merchants Market (La Lonja de Mercaderes) is annexed to the Royal Chapel. And represents the place where the merchants and financiers of the city were to be found. The patron of the building was a rich Genovese, which explains the decoration inspired by the Italian style with decisive columns and arches. The Gothic balcony on the top floor is one of the most attractive elements of the Market.

Complejo de la Catedral

The Cathedral known as the symbol of Christianisation of the last Muslim city of Spain. Its original Gothic layout received plans by Enrique Egas to outdo Toledo cathedral, which Carlos opposed and instead chose a radical Renaissance design by Diego de Siloe.

The Cathedral is entered by the doorway on the Gran Via de Colón, which also leads to the Capilla Real. The interior was not completed until after 1703. With double aisles and a transept, it is richly furnished with sculpture and pictures, mostly by Alonso Cano and Juan de Sevilla. On the entrance arch pillars are statues of the Catholic Monarchs by Pedro de Mena and, above them, heads of Adam and Eve by Alonso Cano. The bronze statues of Apostles date from 1614. In the choir are two large Baroque organs. The cathedral treasury, the finest items in which are a large silver monstrance and a number of Flemish tapestries, is now housed in the former chapterhouse in the northwest corner. From the south aisle a Gothic doorway (usually closed) gives access to the Capilla Real.

Cathedral Capilla Mayor The domed Capilla Mayor of the Cathedral in Granada, 47m/154ft high, is particularly magnificent, with beautiful 16th century stained glass and seven large paintings by Alonso Cano.

Cathedral Capilla Real In the south aisle of the Granada Cathedral is the entrance to the Capilla Real, the Late Gothic burial chapel of the Catholic Monarchs, built on to the cathedral in 1506-21. An elaborately wrought grille by Bartolomé de Jaén encloses the richly decorated royal tombs: to the right Ferdinand (d. 1516) and Isabella (d. 1504), in a tomb of Carrara marble (1522) by the Florentine sculptor Domenico Fancelli; to the left Philip the Handsome (d. 1506) and Joan the Mad (d. 1555), by Bartolomé Ordóñez. Beyond the royal tombs is a large and beautifully carved retablo by Felipe Vigarny, with statues of the Catholic Monarchs by Diego de Siloé. In the transepts are finely carved and richly decorated relicarios (side altars) by Alonso de Mena (1623); also in the north transept is the famous Triptych of the Passion by Dierik Bouts. Steps lead down to the Crypt, with simple lead sarcophagi containing the remains of other kings and princes.

Capilla Real Sacristy The sacristy of the Capilla Real in Granada contains a number of outstanding works of art, including pictures by Botticelli (''Christ on the Mount of Olives''), Rogier van der Weyden (''Pietà'') and Hans Memling (''Descent from the Cross''), polychrome wood figures of the Catholic Monarchs in prayer by Felipe Vigarny, Ferdinand's sword, Isabella's crown and sceptre, and a missal which belonged to the Catholic Monarchs.

El Sagrario On the southeast side of the cathedral in Granada is the Sagrario, a Baroque structure built between 1705 and 1759 on the site of the town's principal mosque.

La Madraza Go to Top Return

La Madraza Granada

Situada al lado de lo que fue la Gran Mezquita de Granada -frente a la actual Capilla Real- se encontraba la Madraza, la Universidad coránica, centro de reunión de intelectuales llegados desde diferentes lugares. Tras la toma de la ciudad el edificio fue convertido en Ayuntamiento, reuniéndose en este lugar los Caballeros Veinticuatro que gobernaban la ciudad. Posteriormente se construyó un palacio barroco. Un arco de herradura permite el acceso al rico mirhab, único espacio conservado del antiguo edificio islámico, apreciándose extraordinarias decoraciones en sintonía con las de la Alhambra. El palacio barroco se estructura alrededor de un patio con galerías de arcos sobre columnas toscanas. La caja de escaleras se cubre por una cúpula de media naranja decorada en estilo churrigueresco. La fachada es barroca, con portada de piedra, ventanas y balcones con carpintería de madera, cerradas por rejería de hierro forjado. Se cubre con un techo inclinado de teja árabe, apreciándose un alero con canecillos de madera como decoración.

The Alhambra Complex Go to Top Return

Compleo de La Alhambra

The Alhambra Palace, residence of the Moorish rulers of the Nasrid dynasty. Work on the building of the palace began in the reign of Yusuf I (1333-54) and was substantially completed in the reign of Mohammed V (1354-91). Like all Moorish secular buildings, it is externally plain and unpretentious: it depends for artistic effect on its carefully contrived ground plan and its sumptuous decoration, one of the finest achievements of Moorish art. The palace, surrounded by its walls and numerous towers, was known to the Arabs as Medinat al-Hambra, the ''Red City'', after the color of the stone. It presents marvellous views over the Albaicin.

Alhambra Palace - Interior

The interior of the Alhambra Palace is an outstanding example of Islamic palace architecture, with its careful articulation into three sections - the Mexuar, used for the public administration of justice and for large assemblies; the royal palace proper (the Divan or Serrallo); and the women's apartments or Harem, designed for the private and family life of the monarch. In each section all the rooms open off a central courtyard, as in the old Greco-Roman house; in the Divan this has a large ornamental pond (Court of Myrtles), in the Harem a fountain (the Lion Fountain).

Baths

On the south side of the Patio de la Reja are the Baños, an extensive complex of underground rooms dating from the time of Yusuf I: first the Sala de las Camas, with a gallery for girl singers, then a small bath, a steam bath and two women's baths.

Court of Lions from the southeast corner of the Court of Myrtles at the Alhambra Palace in Granada the tour leads through the Sala de los Mozárabes into the Patio de los Leones, the central feature of the royal winter residence built by Mohammed V, with the adjoining Harem. In the center of this spacious court (28m/92ft by 16m/52ft) is the Lion Fountain, its basin supported by twelve marble lions. The arcading round the court, with its 124 columns, is of extraordinary lightness and delicacy.

If you wan, you can download a visit in video (save as..)

Court of Myrtles The Patio del Mexuar leads into the Patio de los Arrayanes or Patio de los Mirtos, which takes its name from the hedges of myrtle round the central pond. The court is 37m/121ft long by 23m/75ft across, with a graceful arcade at each end. At its north end, beyond the Sala de la Barca (Hall of Blessing), is the 45m/148ft high Torre de Comares.

Hall of the Ambassadors In the Torre de Comares is the Sala de los Embajadores (Hall of the Ambassadors). In this room (11m/36ft square, 18m/59ft high), also used as a throne room, the rulers of Granada received foreign envoys. With its magnificent larchwood dome, its many tall windows and its profusion of ornament (over 150 different patterns, including verses from the Koran and floral and geometric themes), this is one of the richest and most beautiful apartments in the Alhambra.

Hall of the Kings At the east end of the Court of Lions Alhambra is the Sala de los Reyes or Sala de la Justicia. It is divided into seven sections with high stalactitic domes. In its alcove-like recesses are well preserved 15th century ceiling paintings. Highly unusual are three paintings on leather of scenes from court life and possibly portraits of rulers. The paintings show a consultation between ten magnificently attired councillors, a hunting scene and a representation of the rescue of a maiden from the clutches of a wild man.

Hall of the Two Sisters On the north side of the Court of Lions is the Sala de las Dos Hermanas which together with the succeeding apartments was probably the women's winter lodging. Its tile and stucco decoration is perhaps the finest in the whole of the Alhambra. The honeycomb dome, the largest of all Arab stalactitic vaults, has some 5,000 celles. The hall owes its name to the two large identical slabs of marble let into the floor.

Mexuar An antechamber at the Alhambra Palace leads into the azulejo-clad Mexuar, originally an audience chamber and court-room, which after the Christian conquest was used as a chapel. Adjoining the Mexuar is the Patio del Mexuar, on the left of which is the Cuarto Dorado (Golden Chamber), on the right one of the Alhambra's finest facades.

Patio de Lindaraja Leaving the Alhambra Palace and going down a staircase, twice turning left, the visitor comes to the Patio de Lindaraja, formerly the inner palace garden, which is planted with cypresses and orange-trees. The garden was not laid out until the victory of the Christian kings; the fountain formerly stood in the courtyard of the Mexuar.

Queen's Dressing-Room From the Hall of the Two Sisters of Alhambra Palace, we pass along the gallery on the west side of the Jardín de Daraxa and through two other rooms in the outer gallery on the north side of the palace into the Tocador de la Reina on the upper floor of the Torre del Peinador, from which there are fine views, particularly to the east of the Torre de las Damas and the Generalife.

Sala de los Abencerrajes On the south side of the Court of Lions is the Sala de los Abencerrajes, named after a powerful aristocratic family who probably celebrated their winter festival here at the Alhambra Palace in Granada. In the center of the room, which is crowned by a mighty stalactitic dome, is a twelve-sided marble fountain.

Generalife Granada

Sala de los Ajimeces Opening off the Hall of the Two Sisters at the Alhambra Palace is the Sala de los Ajimeces. Between its two arched windows (ajimeces) is the Mirador de Lindaraja (or de Daraxa), a charming little enclosed balcony with three windows reaching down almost to the floor and overlooking the Patio de Lindaraja.

Towers It is well worth visiting the towers of the Alhambra in Granada. The towers form part of the fortification and are associated with various historical moments at Alhambra.

Battlemented Tower East from the Torre de las Damas, at the Puerta de Hierro or del Arrabal (where there is a path down to the Paseo de los Tristes), stands the Torre de los Picos.

Other Towers Around the corner from Torre del Agua, on the south side of the Alhambra Palace, are two smaller towers, the Torre de Juan de Arce and Torre de Baltasar de la Cruz, followed by the tower of the Puerta de los Siete Suelos (''Gate of Seven Storys''), two other small towers, then the Torre de las Cabezas (''Tower of the Heads'') and finally the Torre de los Carros (''Tower of the Wagons''), at the exit.

The Torre de las Infantas The Torre de las Infantas at the Alhambra Palace has a richly decorated hall and affords extensive views from the upper platform.

Torre de las Damas Immediately east of the Alhambra Palace is the Torre de las Damas, a defensive tower with an adjoining vaulted hall, a pool and a small mosque.

Torre del Agua At the east end of the Alhambra Hill is the Torre del Agua, with the cistern which supplied the Alhambra with water.

Torre del Candil Beyond the Torre de los Picos of Alhambra is the Torre del Candil, with a view of the former Convento de San Francisco, Granada's oldest religious house, converted in 1495 from an Arab palace and now a Parador Nacional.

Tower of the Captive Girl The Torre de la Cautiva of Alhambra comes after the Torre del Candil, with a small patio and a splendidly decorated principal apartment.

La Cartuja Go to Top Return

Monasterio de la Cartuja

1km/0.75mi north of the Plaza del Triunfo in Granada is the Cartuja, a Carthusian monastery founded in 1516, the finest part of which is the church, with an interior remodeled in Baroque style in the 17th century. The ceiling paintings in the nave were the work of Pedro Anastasio Bocanegra. The most striking feature of the church, however, is the sacristy, designed by Luis de Arévalo, with a riot of elaborate stucco ornament.

Casa de los Tiros Go to Top Return

La Casa de Los Tiros

La familia Granada Venegas -gracias a su participación en la conquista de la ciudad recibió como recompensa el Generalife- era la propietaria de este palacio mudéjar, en el que destaca la fachada, donde se desarrolla un llamativo programa iconográfico en el que se hace referencia a los héroes troyanos. En el interior destaca el Cuarto Dorado, atractivo salón con un espectacular artesonado.

Casa del Padre Suárez Go to Top Return

Casa del Padres Suárez

Situada en la plaza del mismo nombre, alberga desde 1966 los fondos y servicios del Archivo de la Real Chancillería y desde 1994 también los del Archivo Histórico Provincial de Granada. Esta casa solariega fue construida en la primera mitad del siglo XVI por la familia Suárez de Toledo, y adquirida por el Estado en 1954.

Convents Go to Top Return

Convento Santa Isabel la Real

El Convento de la Concepción fundado tras la reconquista por la religiosa Leonor Ramírez, coincidiendo con una etapa de máximo esplendor del florecimiento de las órdenes religiosas. Situado en las faldas del Albaicín, en la granadina Carrera del Darro, es digna de mención su iglesia gótica, cuya construcción no concluyó hasta el siglo XVII. Su torre, con un sólo cuerpo, es de planta rectangular, y en ella se distinguen dos vanos adintelados.

El Convento de la Encarnación situado en la Calle San Jeronimo fue fundado en 1524 por Inés Arias, reformándose en 1541 para unirlo a la Iglesia de los Santos Justo y Pastor, hasta que, en 1835, fue derribada la unión que existía entre ambas.

El Convento de Santa Catalina de Zafra fue fundado por el secretario de los Reyes Católicos, en 1520. Destaca la portada renacentista de la iglesia, donde se alza una escultura de la Santa, acompañada por los escudos familiares. El convento de monjas dominicas conserva en su interior una casa morisca del siglo XIV. De esta casa árabe destaca su patio decorado con elementos nazaríes y una alberca en el centro. Este convento se encuentra en la carrera del Darro, muy próximo a los bañuelos.

El Convento de Santa Isabel la Real es el monumento más preciado del Albaicín, fundado en 1501 por Isabel la Católica sobre los restos de uno de los antiguos palacios de la familia real nazarí. Se trata de un importante convento de madres clarisas, cuya iglesia presenta una nave con Capilla Mayor en alto, a la que se accede por una empinada escalinata, que obliga a levantar la mirada y contemplar la armadura mudéjar con decoraciones platerescas de la techumbre. En ella, se conservan multitud de obras de arte. Su puerta de acceso es un bonito ejemplo del gótico.

Corral del Carbón Go to Top Return

Corral del Carbón

This was built in 1336 and was orginally a corn exchange in Moslem times. Merchants and carters would stay here and it was also used as a store. After the Christian conquest, the Catholic Monarchs allowed one of their servants to live here and when he died without heirs, it was sold by public auction. By now it was called the Corral de Carbón as coal merchants would stay here, and their coal weighed nearby. It was also used as a theatre at the beginning of the 16th century. It is across the road from the Alcaiceria.

Cuarto Real de Santo Domingo Go to Top Return

Jardínes Cuarto Real Santo Domingo

Of Nazari origen and situated in the barrio of the Realejo, this tower of the muslim wall was saved thanks to its use as a Dominican convent after the Christian reconquest. The Dominicans were eventually to be expelled in the 19th century. Built between the 13th and 14th centuries it has a richly decorated room in the upper stories. Its marble floors, carved plasterwork and paintingsas well as its richly carved wooden roof all attest to the best of Nazari artwork.

El Bañuelo Go to Top Return

El Bañuelo

The Historic Baths of Granada were built around 1,000 years ago and this ancient Moorish building is in surprisingly good shape, considering its ancient origins. Once a major venue for both bathing and socialising, today El Banuelo is the oldest and best-preserved Arab baths in the area and is believed to have Roman origins and influence. Some of the best preserved Arab baths tracing their origin to the 11th century along with columns in Roman and Visigothic styles, which show the use of the waters of River Darro by other cultures.

Ermita de San Sebastián Go to Top Return

Ermita San Sebastián

The hermitage was raised on the site of an old mosque in 1218. In this enclave in 1492 the Catholic Kings took possession of the keys of Granada and a mass was celebrated here after eight centuries of Moslem domination. It was originally a rabita, a place where devout Moslems retired to devote themselves to meditation. On 31st of June 1931 it was declared a historical artistic monument.

Hospital de San Juan de Dios Go to Top Return

Hospital San Juan de Dios

La iglesia y el hospital de San Juan de Dios están ambos situados en la calle del mismo nombre muy cerca de la Facultad de Derecho. El Hospital fue el primero de esta Orden de caridad y ocupó un edificio que anteriormente había sido Monasterio de San Jerónimo. La portada data de 1609, es muy sobria. Está formada por dos cuerpos, columnas dóricas y pilastras. Sobre ello, un frontón partido en cuyo centro hay una escultura de san Juan de Dios. En su interior, destaca el zaguán con techo de artesonado renacentista, un patio con arquerías, también renacentistas, y una escalera con techo de madera decorado. La iglesia, contigua, la edificó en el siglo XVIII José Bada. Su portada tiene dos cuerpos con columnas y diversas esculturas, expresión clara del barroco de la época. Tiene planta de cruz de latina y en el crucero una alta cúpula. Bajo ella, el retablo del altar mayor destaca por su barroquismo dentro de la exuberancia del churrigueresco. Tras él hay un camarín que refuerza la profundidad y el dinamismo del conjunto.

Hospital Real de Granada Go to Top Return

Hospital Real

Commissioned by Isabel and Fernando (The "Catholic Monarchs") in 1504, it was designed by the architect Enrique Egas and building started in 1511. Over the years, it was used for a variety of purposes. Originally, it served as a hospital for the poor, pilgrims and soldiers who had been injured during the conquest of Granada. After 1536, however, it was also used as a prison for mad people, and San Juan de Dios was kept here for a time when he was considered to be insane. At a later date, it was also used to treat people from all over Spain who were suffering form venereal diseases (and syphilis in particular). It was one of the first buildings which the monarchs built in Granada and was situated outside the city walls. The building has now been taken over by the University of Granada and is the seat of the Vice-chancellor's Office and other university services.

Monastery of San Jerónimo Go to Top Return

Monasterio San Jerónimo

Church and convent by El Florentino, El Indiano and Diego de Siloé. The altarpiece is a wonderful piece. The sepulcre of Fernando González de Córdoba, the Great Captain is located incide the church. Founded in 1492 by the Catholic Monarchs in the nearby town of Santa Fe, it was soon moved to the capital and the building works began in 1500 on the former Nublo orchards, property of the former Nasrid kings. The Renaissance transept and the main chapel are works by Jacopo Florentino and Diego de Siloé. Its layout conforms a single nave Latin cross, covered by a Gothic fan vaulting with side chapels and the most notable octogonal apse which the magnificent altarpiece fits to. The impressive outside, with important contraforts, is adorned with the coat-of-arms of the Great Captain and his wife held by soldiers. The front is notable because of its sobriety. The convent owns several cloisters. The first of them is Gothic, with basket-handle archs, fantasy images capitals and beautiful Plateresque fronts, works of Siloé and his school. The second one conformed in an early Renaissance style and its dimensions are smaller.: Francisco de Bobadilla, Díaz Sánchez Dávila, Ponce de León...).

Palaces Go to Top Return

Palacio Arzobispal

El Palacio Arzobispal sufrió un importante incendio, por lo que del palacio primitivo sólo se conserva la nave correspondiente a la entrada principal, abierta a la plaza de Bibarrambla y reedificada en los primeros años del siglo XVIII. La colección de cuadros que se conserva en el palacio es bastante interesante, especialmente la parte dedicada al siglo XVI.

El Palacio de Alcázar Genil esta situado muy cerca del actual Palacio de Congresos de Granada. El palacio pertenecía a una almunia -antigua casa campestre-. Su edificación se remonta al sigo XIII, fechándose hacia 1219. Su decoración corresponde a una época posterior, concretamente a tiempos de Yusuf I, durante el siglo XIV. Fue propiedad de la madre de Boabdil antes de la toma de la ciudad por los Reyes Católicos. El edificio ha sido muy reformado y consta de una torre, en cuyo interior encontramos una sala decorada con estucos y azulejos, muy similar a La Alhambra. Fue declarado Monumento Histórico en 1922.

El Palacio de Bibataubín está edificado sobre los restos de un antiguo torreón o castillo, que pertenecía a las murallas de la ciudad. Se trata de un edificio moderno, con una sencilla portada con columnas salomónicas. Alrededor de este palacio, durante los siglos XVI y XVII, entretenían su ocio pícaros y bravucones. Justo detrás se encuentra la plaza de Mariana Pineda.

El Palacio de Daralhorra está situado en el barrio del Albaicín fue construido en el siglo XV utilizando los cimientos del anterior palacio de los reyes ziríes. En el palacete habría vivido la madre de Boabdil “el Chico”, denominándose al lugar "Dar al-horra" -Casa de la señora honesta-. La conquista de Granada por los Reyes Católicos en 1492 motivará que el palacio sea cedido a don Hernando de Zafra, secretario de los monarcas. Después, Isabel la Católica fundó en este enclave el Convento de Santa Isabel la Real, perteneciendo el palacete a las religiosas hasta el siglo XX, momento en que fue adquirido por el Estado, siendo declarado Bien de Interés Cultural (B.I.C). En la actualidad es la sede del Centro de Interpretación. La estructura y decoración del edificio es la característica del arte nazarí, presentando dos plantas en tres de sus lados y torreón en la zona norte. Un patio central organiza el espacio, disponiéndose sendos pórticos en los lados menores y una pequeña alberca con fuentecilla en el lado sur. La zona norte es la más interesante del palacio; comprende dos pisos y torreón, encontrándose en la planta baja un pórtico constituido por tres arcos de herradura sobre columnas, estructura cubierta por un maravilloso techo plano de madera -alfarje- decorado con figuras geométricas.

Palacio de Los Córdoba

El Palacio de los Córdova, su construcción primitiva estaba enclavada en la Placeta de las Descalzas y fue iniciada en 1530, llegando a su término en 1592. Luis Fernández de Córdova, Alférez Mayor de Granada y Comendador de Villanueva de la Fuente, era su propietario, pero con el tiempo cambio de dueños. Según se desprende se un documento de 1911, el edificio en cuestión fue "albergue de fábricas, sociedades, almacenes, etc..." y en 1919 fue adquirido por Ricardo Marín Flores. Este lo derribó y sobre el terreno construyó el Teatro Gran Capitán. Sin embargo, esta circunstancia no significó su fin definitivo, ya que conservó los restos de mayor valor histórico en la finca "Villa María". La nueva ubicación del edificio fue una finca situada en la cuesta de Chapiz.

El Palacio de los Condes de Luque construido en el siglo XVIII, también denominado Palacio de las Columnas, pertenecía a la familia Cordova, propietaria del Palacio de los Cordova. En la actualidad es la sede de la Facultad de Traducción e Interpretación de la Universidad de Granada. Su estilo se encuadra dentro de las primeras muestras de Neoclasicismo.

El Palacio de los Duques de Abrantes esta situado junto al edificio denominado Corral del Carbón, en la placeta de Tovar, podemos admirar este edifico construido en el siglo XVI, del que destaca su fachada de estilo gótico decorada con elementos heráldicos.

Puerta de Elvira Go to Top Return

Puerta Elvira

La Puerta de Elvira is Arabic in origen. The granadinos call it the Arco de Elvira, "the arch", because it lost its function as the main gate of the city when Napoleon's troops demolished its smaller, inner gate and L-shaped passageway. Its history goes back to the origins of the Moorish city, but the monumental façade which remains was built in the 14th century by Sultan Yusuf I.

The Royal Chancery Go to Top Return

The Royal Chancery

The Royal Chancery, Granada is the high court of the city. So, while entering it you will find armed guards protecting the monument of justice. Before serving as the high court, the Real Chancilleria, Granada used to be the prison house and the house of justice in the renaissance period. It is almost the same age as the Plaza Nueva, where it is situated. It was designed by Diego de Siloe, in the 1530s when the Plaza was built. There are two galleries in the inner side of the courtyard – the lower courtyard and the upper courtyard. The lower part of the courtyard is encircled by arches in the shape of half-barrel. They have been supported by marble Doric columns. There is a cornice and a stone balustrade in the upper gallery. The cornice of this gallery is decorated by carved leaves. The features of the building are very similar to that of the methods of imparting justice in those days. The dungeon, which was a very important part of meeting out justice, is located under the main stairs of the Real Chancilleria, Granada.